Planning a Gold Trail Class Excursion
The #heartofgold Discovery Trail combines learning with technology and the outdoors, offering a great option for a class excursion or to enjoy on the weekend with family.
The virtual gold trail is the first of its kind in Perth providing a fun, interactive and educational experience for school students to learn about the
rich history and importance of gold to the development of Perth city and Western Australia via the Heart of Gold Australia app.
- Allow up to 2 hours to complete the trail and approximately 3 hours for groups.
- Download the free Heart of Gold Australia app from iTunes or Google Play and the trail bundle in the app before arriving in the city. Elizabeth Quay has free WiFi if you forget.
- Ensure all devices have location services and bluetooth enabled.
- Make sure your device has full battery or consider taking a battery pack.
- Don’t forget to bring headphones.
- Be safe and sun smart – remember to bring a hat, sunscreen and a water bottle.
- Be aware of traffic – cross at lights and keep your eyes up. When referring to the app/map, stop somewhere safe.
- Save and share your photos on social media using #heartofgold
- Check the trail content so you can plan ahead based on the level of your students.
- Arrive at Elizabeth Quay early to see the sights.
- Stop for a picnic lunch in the gardens of Government House Tuesday to Thursday from 12-2pm. Stirling Gardens and the State Buildings’ restaurants are always open for lunch.
- When you arrive at The Perth Mint why not see a live gold pour? You can book a tour by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9421 7223. Make sure you mention the trail!
- If you need some help or would like to explore more of the city, Two Feet and a Heartbeat can assist. Visit twofeet.com.au or call 1800 459 388.
Gold Trail Lesson Plans & Resources
Lessons plans linked to the Australian Curriculum have been developed in addition to the trail for year 5 and year 9 students, however the trail will appeal to students from the age of 8 years.
You can also find more educational gold tools on Heritage Perth’s learning portal.
Gold Trail Demonstration or Event Requests
If you would like the Gold Industry Group to demonstrate the #heartofgold Discovery Trail at a Teacher Professional Development Day, School Development Day, event or conference, please contact Executive Officer Rebecca Johnston on 6314 6333 or email email@example.com
Gold Trail School Competitions
The Gold Industry Group demonstrated the#heartofgold Discovery Trail at the AISWA Humanities and Social Sciences Conference to around 100 history and geology teachers recently, donating an all expenses paid class excursion.
The lucky winner was Swan Valley Anglican Community School whose year 5 students had the opportunity to walk the Heart of Gold Discovery Trail and experience The Perth Mint’s live gold pour on Thursday 24 November.
Another all expenses school excursion was also won by Gibbs Street Primary School via the trail launch competition on Hit 92.9. Their year 6 students walked the Heart of Gold Discovery Trail on Friday 1 December.