Be the first to walk Kalgoorlie's Heart of Gold Discovery Trail at a free community event on Saturday 9 June 2018!
Embark on a gold adventure with us as you immerse yourself in the lore and legends of Kalgoorlie with augmented reality, widgets, captivating images, video and audio recordings, via the free Heart of Gold Australia app.
The new trail and community launch event coincides with Kalgoorlie-Boulder’s 125th anniversary celebrations as we remember one of the biggest gold rushes in Australia’s history.
Starting at the Perth Mint Gold Bar replica (to be unveiled outside Market Arcade) and ending at the Museum of the Goldfields, the self-guided walking trail will take you on a journey of discovery. Unearth 11 locations of significance, and travel through time from the early gold rushes to today, as you learn how gold changed the State and secured the economic future of both Western Australia and the rest of the nation.
A local school program will also be launched in conjunction with the trail and aligned to the Australian Curriculum.
It will be the nation’s second virtual gold trail to feature on the free Heart of Gold Australia app, providing an interactive and engaging experience for students, tourists and the wider community to connect with the Goldfields’ gold story.
- See the opening ceremony at the Kalgoorlie Town Hall at 9.30am with special guests and a Welcome to Country Ceremony
- Watch the unveiling of a Perth Mint Gold Bar replica at the start of the trail outside Market Arcade at 10am
- Enter our photo competition with the Gold Bar replica to win an iPad Mini (T's and C's apply)
- Be the first to walk Kalgoorlie’s Heart of Gold Discovery Trail from 10am
Finish the trail to
- Claim your #heartofgold medallion at the Museum of the Goldfields
- The first 250 trailblazers will receive a #heartofgold hat and Perth Mint 'gold look' iPhone cover
- Join in the fun free interactive gold activities
- Meet famous sports personalities including former Eagles player Sam Butler thanks to Gold Road Resources and Ausdrill Hockeyroos player Madonna Blyth
- Try your luck at panning for gold with Hannans North Tourist Mine
- Participate in treasure hunt with the Gold Fields St Ives team
- Identify different rock types with Northern Star Resources' geology team
- See inside a gold mine using virtual reality with the WA School of Mines, brought to you by Mining Education Australia
- Interact with Eastern Goldfields Historical Society's old fashioned display
- Delve into the past with William Grundt Memorial Library's photo board
- Have your face painted gold and more!
Important: Download the Heart of Gold Australia app from your iTunes or Google Play store and the bundle in the app before you arrive.
Register to attend
Thanks to our sponsors
THANK YOU TO MAJOR SPONSOR SARACEN MINERAL HOLDINGS, REPLICA SPONSOR THE PERTH MINT, SCHOOL PROGRAM SPONSORS NORTHERN STAR RESOURCES, SILVER LAKE RESOURCES, Gold Fields Australia, St Barbara Limited, GOLD ROAD RESOURCES, AUSDRILL and AngloGold Ashanti AND TRAIL SPONSORS MINING EDUCATION AUSTRALIA and City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.