Embark on a virtual gold treasure hunt through Perth city as you discover the rich history of a city and nation built on gold.
The #heartofgold Discovery Trail will take you back in time to the early gold rushes with augmented reality, remarkable audio stories, fun widgets, vivid videos, timeless photos and interactive games via the Heart of Gold app.
Starting at Elizabeth Quay and ending at the historic Perth Mint, the gold treasure trail will take you on a journey of discovery – from 2017 back to the early gold rushes at 12 locations of significance throughout the city.
The interactive, self-guided trail will excite and entertain people of all ages who visit the city, as they learn its golden story and how gold changed the cityscape and secured the economic future of Western Australia and the nation.
Trailblazers will receive a commemorative medallion on completion of the trail and could strike it lucky and win a real Ramelius gold nugget!
Join us at the launch of Perth's first virtual gold trail!
Saturday 7 October 2017 : 10am - 3pm
Elizabeth Quay will be a hub of golden activity for all ages at the official opening of the #heartofgold Discovery Trail:
- A replica of the famous Golden Eagle nugget will be unveiled in Elizabeth Quay marking the start of the trail, with a special welcome to country ceremony at 10am
- Trailblazers will have the chance to win an array of prizes including real nuggets from Ramelius Resources’ gold mine when they pan for gold with The Perth Mint or complete the trail on the day
- See inside a gold mine using virtual reality with Mining Education Australia
- A virtual scavenger hunt will take place in Elizabeth Quay
- #heartofgold social media competitions, face painting and more
The Heart of Gold App is free and will be available to download from 30 September 2017.
For more information on the #heartofgold Discovery Trail email email@example.com
The #heartofgold Discovery Trail will offer a fun and educational experience and we encourage teachers from year 5 to take their students on the trail.
Lesson plans linked to the trail for Year 5 and 9 students will be provided to all schools in Western Australia.
If you would like to receive a teacher pack email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to our sponsors
Kalgoorlie-Boulder gold trail coming in 2018!
Perth’s #heartofgold Discovery Trail is the first of many digital journeys proposed to share Australia’s gold story via the Heart of Gold app.
Next year we will launch a second gold trail in Kalgoorlie-Boulder to tell its important gold story and celebrate 125 years since Paddy Hannan, Thomas Flanagan and Dan O’Shea found gold at the base of Mt Charlotte, sparking the biggest gold rush in Western Australia’s history.