The township of Leinster lies 368km north of Kalgoorlie and is often described as an oasis in the desert. Residents refer to it as either the 'home of the wedge tail eagle' or 'the jewel of the northern goldfields'.
Gold mining first began in the area in 1897 and the town was established in 1976. Today, Leinster is home to some 500 gold and nickel mine workers. The Gold Industry Group had the opportunity to visit the mining town and attend the regional race day earlier this month.